Dial-up Service

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 06:23:22 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Norman L. DeForest" <af380@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca
cc: ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

Hello,

A power surge (my lights actually flickered off when I first got cut off)
on Friday evening knocked out one or more of the Portmasters controlling
some of the modem banks into CCN.  Resetting them appears to be working
only temporarily.  When you dial in you get a different modem each time.
You just have to retry until you get one of the good ones.

CCN was luckier than some other computer systems.  Whole sections of
Dalhousie University were without computing facilities entirely.  I
spotted this report on Saturday:

http://Snoopy.UCIS.Dal.Ca/status/status?curr+OUT-001006-02

:                          Dalhousie Status Report
[snip]
: Start: 2000/10/06 19:25
: End:   None/None/None None:None
:
: Subject: network out, Killam, SBA
: Contact: noc@dal.ca  494-2662
:
:
: A power bump has knocked out parts of the network. The Library and parts of
: the SBA are currently off the air.
[snip]

If there was no actual hardware damage I assume that the tech team will
have things back to normal soon.

If you are using the original HyperTerminal that came with Wundows 95/98
to connect then you might want to grab the free upgrade from Hilgraeve.
One of its features is automatic redial so you don't have to sit there
clicking a Dial button over and over and ....   See:
   http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/Tips.html#Tip010

Norman De Forest
af380@chebucto.ns.ca
CCN UserHelp (newbie) Team Leader