Fwd: A note from Chebucto Community Network

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:09:28 -0400
To: editors@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: webmaster@chebucto.ns.ca, jera@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, office@chebucto.ns.ca

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share with you a process which may be of use in your
own areas.

Until such time as it is easily generatable via the IPDB or some
other means, Area Editors have no easy way to be in mass-contact with
website editors in their sections.  A couple of days ago I printed
off the directory listing of /CommunitySupport/  and then waded
through the IPDB, writing down email addresses for all the editors.
A great way to waste an afternoon.

 From this point forward, as new organizations are announced for my
section, I'll be adding them to my list of  CommunitySupport editors,
and thus won't be such an onerus task in the future.

The email below was then sent to all of those registered editors (in
the BCC: field - bad form to put them all in the CC:  or  TO:
fields).  Please feel free to make use of it for your own sections.

I have received all positive responses so far, including one note
from an editor who's personal CCN address had expired (last year) and
who needed information on how to re-activate.

The responses that I receive will allow me to update the IPDB with
the correct organizational editor, where there is one.  In the case
of new organizations, there is an organizational email address that
should not change in the future.  Consider this a  way of bridging
the gap to our old organizations.  I suspect that at some point we'll
need to talk about migrating those records into the new database
structure, and giving them the option of having a new, organizational
email address at the time of renewal.  Something to think about.

Beyond that administrative function, this outreach enables us to
communicate with website editors in our areas, offering support and
rebuilding that relationship that has always been tenous.  My main
motivation for doing this was to build an accurate list of website
editors who will recieve a direct mailing about the WebCorps
initiative (see the Volunteer Committee webpage at
<http://chebucto.ns.ca/Chebucto/Volunteers>  )

Ciao,
Mark

--