Interim IP registration proposal

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 23:24:43 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-editors@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Mark!

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Mark Rushton wrote:

> The Board directed at Tuesday evening's meeting that the office
> revert to registering new organizational websites using the "old"
> IPDB.
>
> I was involved in a discussion this evening to look at the logistics
> of doing so, in such a way as not to have a huge impact on the
> expectations of those who have heard of the "new" method that's been
> in place for the past couple of months.

Excellent!

> Specifically, we wanted to (a) keep the IPDB involved, while (b)
> providing the ease-of-FTP functionality that the "new" system
> provided.

Excellent!

> We also wanted to do this in a way that will not adversely affect the
> revisions being made to IPDB.

Excellent!

> This is the process we have determined.  Tech-types in particular
> please read through this and answer the questions posed so we can
> move quickly to adopting this interim process.
>
> Essentially, we are creating records in both the IPDB and NAMEDB for
> each organization.  This fulfils the old IPDB requirement that a CCN-
> user be the website editor.
>
> We have two options:  Create identically-named entries in both
> databases (i.e. "NSCUBA" in IPDB and "NSCUBA" in NameDB) which  would
> (??) make the eventual reunion of the NameDB and revised IPDB easier
> (?), or the NameDB entry could be  "NSCUBA-webmaster" to
> differentiate but still create a relationship that is obvious.
>
> TECH: WHICH OF THESE TWO OPTIONS IS PREFERRED, AND IS THERE ANY
> CRITICAL PROBLEM TO PREVENT THIS METHOD?
>
> This also reinstates the location of the new organization within the
> information tree structure (i.e., under "Community Support" or
> "Environment", etc.
>
> The process:
>
> 1. An organization wishes to host their website on CCN.  They contact
> the office and submit the *new* (board-approved) "neighbourhood
> account" agreement, which is the only one in force.
>
> 2. The office undertakes the steps that IPs in the past had to perform, namely:
> 	- enters the information in the online IP registration form
>   	- creates a new user via the online registration form, using
> 	  the same name as the IP.  (i.e., if  NSCUBA is the new IP coming
>    	  aboard, then NSCUBA is entered as a new user also)
>
> 3. The IPDB will notify the EIC that a new record has been added.
> 	(CORRECT? IS THIS AUTOMATED?)

If the information is added via the public front end which begins with:

Linkname: Online IP Application Form

Then at the end of the process notification is sent to ip-admin (a subset
of ccn-ip, I believe) of the new IP's registration. If you create the IP
from within the IPDB itself, then no such notification is sent out.

> 4.  The IPDB record is updated to reflect TRAINED, even though we do not
>       require this for the new organizational websites.
>                (IS THIS NECESSARY TO CONTINUE?  CAN OFFICE DO IT?  OR
> ONLY BOB ADAMS?)

It *is* necessary to continue, however, anyone with HTTP authorized access
can do this, office, IP people, editors, training, etc.

> 5.  The Office deletes the  PUBLIC_HTML  directory from the "user"
> account associated with the IPDB account (to clarify the FTP
> destination directory, which is accessible via the "00ip" directory
> in the NameDB user directory)
>
> 6.  The Office notifies the organization and its selected webmaster
> that the account is active and ready for files to be FTP'd.  The
> Office notifies the org. and webmaster of the FTP path to be used, to
> avoid confusion.
>
> NOTE that this provides for the organization to have a WebMail
> account, accessible via CCN's homepage, which was not a feature of
> the "new" process.
>
> NOTE that this is only intended as an INTERIM solution until the IPDB
> is revised, and we have a clearer, better-functioning process.
>
> Unless there are CRITICAL reasons for not going ahead with this, we
> would appreciate only constructive criticism  ;-)

For my perspective, go for it!

> I have made every effort to make this summary accurate; there may be
> mistakes, and as they are revealed to me I will send them on. NOTE
> that we are on a TIGHT timeline to get this going, and continue the
> process of rebuilding our online content.
>
> Thank-you, and goodnight.

Thanks for the time and constructive thoughts of everyone involved.

Cheers,

Chris

Christopher Majka		                <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor: Culture & Philosophy - Chebucto Community Net, Halifax,
Nova Scotia, Canada.     URL =  http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Culture.html

"Culture is the sum of all the forms of art, of love and of thought,
which, in the course of centuries, have enabled man to be less enslaved."
						-- Andre Malraux, 1957