IP accounts

From: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca
To: ljdeveau@glinx.com, Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>, editors@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, murdoch@csuite.ns.ca, af180@chebucto.ns.ca,
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 01:38:48 -0400

&gt; Chebucto in either of thes
After almost a year of pointing out the difference between 'membership'
and 'account', I'm appalled by the information provided in this thread.

Several years ago a debate ensued over the issue of user fees. One side
supported the community service viewpoint and the other side supported a
service provider viewpoint. The outcome was that CCN would continue to
provide basic services to the community at no charge and levy fees for
'premium' services.

Users are encouraged to become members of CCN.  The membership fees
collected becoming a source of revenue for CCN.  Users are also encouraged to
make donations - another source of income. And finally, premium services such
as PPP accounts, VDN hosting, and custom user IDs another source.

CCN users of CCN basic services are not to be discriminated based on
financial position. 'it's clear that there are some IPs that haven't paid
Chebucto a cent for our services' undermines this
basic principle.  The inference is that these IPs are deadbeats. In many cases
the IP editor has been induced to become a member.

>'truly reflect the mutual relationship and responsibilities between Chebucto
and the IP member (be it financial or some kind of exchange in services '

Information Providers contribute to CCN by providing information.  CCN provides
the disk space, and editor training. What is the cost of 5mbs? $1.00? What
would be the cost to CCN to provide editor services in exchange for the IP's
information? I would suggest that CCN benefits more  by providing the training.

What is the cost of hosting a VDN? Other than set-up time, probably NIL.

>"our IP membership fees are renewable at a 'suggested' basic membership fee of
$50.00 per annum. This still depends though on what exactly is being 'renewed' -
 just basic service, PPP or VDN, etc.

And here is the point of the argument.  The IP fee structure is clear. Don't
mix membership and services.
Basic services are provided at no charge - period.
Membership is renewed annually - period.
Other services such as VDN are renewed annually - period.

Some IP's don't or haven't paid a membership fee, because, I suspect,  the
office doesn't offer them membership.  Instead the office signs up the
designated IP editor as a member.  While the IP procedure requires the editor
to apply for a user account, the IP editor does not have to become a member,
just as the IP does not have to become a member.

Doug McCann
Chair, IP Committee

 This mail was sent through the Nova Scotia Provincial Server.
 http://nsaccess.ns.ca/mail/ (in development)