Death of RCS

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:56:35 -0300 (ADT)
From: Michael Smith <michael@csuite.ns.ca>
To: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
Cc: Bob Adams <bobadams@ns.sympatico.ca>, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, CCN Tech <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Christopher Majka wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Bob  Adams wrote:
>
> > Have to consider all these cases.
>
> But (if I understand Michael's proposal correctly) eliminating RCS
> shouldn't impact on either of these situations, should it?

Correct, it won't. The scripts will set the permissions correctly so that
sharing between multiple editors will still work fine.

> > I liked your idea earlier of having a simple dot file like .norcs that
> > would indicate that editor and IP didn't want to have to deal with RCS.
>
> This is an interesting idea.

I think a .norcs file would be equivalent to a directory without an RCS
subdirectory, so .norcs isn't really required. There's a difference in
philosophy I guess - with .norcs we were probably going to continue to
provide RCS to new IPs by default.

I don't think we need to do that, and the procedure to activate RCS will
be simple: just create an RCS subdirectory for each directory where RCS is
required, and make sure the RCS subdirectory is marked group writable and
set-group-id (already taken care of by the directory creation scripts, so
in theory an IPE could activate RCS without tech intervention).

Michael