IP Merge

From: aa935@chebucto.ns.ca
To: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:14:18 -0300

Was IP Vision

----- Forwarded message from potter@chebucto.ns.ca -----
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:40:28 -0300
From: potter@chebucto.ns.ca
Subject: IP Vision: Was IP Merge...
To: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca,ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 aa935@chebucto.ns.ca wrote:

> For IPs, there are additional steps in the procedure.  Besides the need
> of an editor account (as above), additional forms, and a
> training/certification procedure were required to be completed.  In the
> past, these additional steps were deemed necessary so that web page
> installs, updates could be performed competently by the IP editor from
> the text browser.  Additional resources (web space) etc. were assigned
> to the IP organization, dependent upon the fee paid.
>
> With the advent of FTP service, web page updates can be performed, in
> most cases, without the need to know the nuances of the text
> environment. Which begs the question - 'why is an IP member required to
> follow a projected sign up procedure?'.  Could IPs be viewed as other
> class(es) of member (business, organization)?
>
> If the proposition that membership should be expanded to include an
> organization level and a business level, then the procedure for joining
> CCN could be streamlined into one procedure, with the appropriate fees
> and services.
>
> The question for discussion is:
>    - should the IP stream and the general membership stream be merged?

While there are certainly opportunities to improve the IP registration/creation/
support systems, I'm concerned about how this is being approached.

The new IP-FTP is being used to argue in support of changes that impact deep
into our support of the text based system... we're not talking about making an
adjustment in keeping with the new functionality... we talking about abandoning
systems.

In addition there seems to be a continuing search for statistics that prove
definitively that the 'sky is falling (or has fallen)...'

My suspicion is that the vision upon which CCN was built has not been completely

communicated to succeeding boards and that (some) current board members may not
understand that vision, or may not know that such vision exists...

If it is time for a new vision (and I'm not suggesting that it isn't...), then
by all means let's at it... I'll say again, the acid test of a new vision will
be whether the volunteers will rally to it (not whether it makes sense in the
boardroom).

Disconcerting as it might be, the resistance to recent proposals should be
viewed as evidence of the strength, and success of the original vision... and
provide hope that when a new vision succeeds it will succeed equally.

david potter

 This mail was sent through the Nova Scotia Provincial Server.
 http://nsaccess.ns.ca/mail/ (in development)

----- End forwarded message -----