text compatible

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:18:57 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Douglas J. McCann" <aa935@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: < @chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

The mandate of CCN is to provide access to all, not withstanding financial
or technological limits. Our, and other information providers may have a
different agenda and prefer a graphical interface. Text browsers often
have difficulties in displaying these pages.

However, newer techologies and techniques are coming to the forefront.
Documents coded using XML etc. can provide the structures that can be
interpreted and displayed correctly in the desired format.

Until the day that they become commonplace, authors should remain
sensitive to the limitations of their audience. And remember that 1% of
200 million viewers world-wide (NUA Suveys estimate of how many on-line)
is 2 million. That is a large group to dis-enfranchise.

Doug McCann
Chair, IP Committee