Hosting of web pages.

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:05:53 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Pat Greenfield <grandane@grandane.com>
cc: CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, David Murdoch <murdoch@csuite.ns.ca>, Gillian Webster <WEBSTEGS@gov.ns.ca>

Hi Pat,

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Pat Greenfield wrote:

> Thanks for your post in reply to the above. "Gillian Webster"
> <WEBSTEGS@gov.ns.ca> suggested the "Nova Scotia Guide to Registered
> Dogs/Breeders and Kennels" could perhaps be accepted by Chebucto
> Freenet.

If someone (you, Gillian Webster, someone else?) wishes to make an
application for the "Nova Scotia Guide to Registered Dogs/Breeders and
Kennels", then by all means do so. None has been made. BTW, the name of
the organization is the Chebucto Community Net. It hasn't been known as
the Freenet for over four years now.

> I do not wish to be hosted by Chebucto, already have ISP, but thank you
> all same, and the other suggestion re. Information Provider, these pages
> are not the result of any organization but completely volunteeringly
> carried out by myself, they receive a lot of traffic and therefore, it
> would appear that section is not applicable to myself?

I'm not sure what you are asking or why you are inquiring. If you already
have an ISP and have no plans to move, what is it that you wish to know
or determine?

I'm not sure what you mean by: "therefore, it would appear that section is
not applicable to myself?" What section are you referring to and why is it
not applicable to you? The CCN hosts all manner of websites by many
different individuals and organizations on a great diversity of topics.

> Wouldn't mind becoming member of Chebucto or an Information Provider,
> but am not available to attend courses in Halifax etc.

No one is required to attend any courses to become a CCN Information
Provider. There are User Training Courses, but they are entierly optional
and a geared to ordinary users and not Information Providers. Our
Information Provider Training courses are conducted entierly on-line and
at the pace and schedule of the participant. We had one participant who
began working on being a CCN Information Provider while working in Korea!

> As a matter of interest, is it possible to be involved with anything
> without having to attend courses.

It is possible to be involved in *everything* without having to attend
courses. The only compulsory training is IP Training and that is conducted
on-line.

> I know most of what they consist of anyway, by the look of it apart from
> the PINE bit, I use W95, and that sounds like a bit like Linux, which I
> also have but think I have messed up when attempting to load another HD
> with different Linux program.
>
> However, that is all beside the point I guess.  When you get time, would
> appreciate a reply.

I'm not sure what you wish to know, but I hope this is it.

Best wishes,

Christopher Majka

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"Often his editorial policy was a nice compromise between blackmail and
begging"                - William Allen White, The Nation, Jun 18, 1938