Vendor Domaine Name Fees

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 14:41:58 -0300
From: Mark Rushton <Mark@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Doug McCann <mccannd@gov.ns.ca>
Cc: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca

Greetings, Doug et al.

Finally had a moment to go over your notes, Doug.  Thanks for providing us
with the info - something we've needed for awhile.

One thing off the top:  Insofar as I know, "VDN" means "Virtual Domain
Name", not "Vendor..".  The latter carries a connotation that may be
misconstrued (i.e. business related).  Hate to nit-pick!

Pleased to hear that the board is revisiting the VDN price structure, there
certainly has been some grumbling in "the ranks."  You note that "In the
meanwhile, the current fee structure will be followed."  The table you sent
out is great -- I had no idea that our fee structure (current) was
structured that way.  I'll review it in more detail and provide comments.

You make an important point, one discussed at the last (seems like many
moons ago) IP Cttee meeting.
With VDNs, the CCN "presence" disappears, unless the organization is kind
enough to provide a link / "thank-you" to CCN on its homepage.  This is
something we require (strongly suggest?) now with our IPs.  An option
discussed at the last IP Cttee meeting was the use of (similar to
GeoCities) a tranlucent logo on the bottom-right corner of the screen.

Should this approach, in some form, be taken then the "financial
compensation" you write about may not be such and issue.

Also:
>Part of the fee should be allocated for setup and
>maintenance of the VDN on the system. In the ISP
>community there is normally an annual fee for
>activated VDNs.

Could we break this down a bit?  What exactly is involved in the "setup" of
a VDN, and its subsequent "maintenance".  In order for the IP community to
feel comfortable with this, we need to see justification for ongoing
maintenance costs.  On the surface, one would think that once the VDN
numbers/aliases were input into the DNS tables, no further "maintenance"
would be required - I mean, you don't have to change the oil after 30,000
"hits", do you?  Help us understand this point.

Another item from the previous quoted:  Regardless that "In the ISP
community there is normally an annual fee..." -- let us not be guided by
the rest of the 'Net.  We're a nonprofit, community-oriented group, not a
business like other ISPs.  Let us lead, not follow.

Further comments as the week progresses.

Thanks again for putting this information out there.. Now that the academic
year has wrapped, I hope we can all come together and contribute to
Chebucto's evolutionary process.

Regards,
Mark.

Mark Rushton, Editor, Community Support & Development, Chebucto Community
Network
Mark@chebucto.ns.ca     or via WWW:  http://chebucto.ns.ca/~Mark/index.html