Charitable Status

Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 21:49:18 -0300 (ADT)
From: Douglas Rigby <drigby@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Bernie Hart <bhart@fox.nstn.ca>
cc: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>, CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Board of Directors <ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca>,

This is most curious. If companies cannot get a tax receipt for donations
why do we have millions of $ donated by them?

Our church issues a tax receipt to a car company whose director
writes a cheque on the company rather than personally and gets a
tax receipt for the company and some good publicity.

Now if my church should donate to CCN (unlikely by the way) it
would not request a tax receipt because it does not file income
taxes as do companies and individuals.

Do we issue tax receipts for IPs. Yes if they are companies or
individuals; no if they are organizations that do not file
income tax papers.