CommunitySupport/HPC/: The -other- mailing list

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:43:54 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: Daniel MacKay <Daniel.MacKay@dal.ca>
cc: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, David Potter <ab934@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi Dan!

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Daniel MacKay wrote:

> We have been using the ml-priv as our public address.  It's the address
> that people write to when they want more info, it has been publicized
> everywhere and we want just a couple of responsible people on it to handle
> correspondance to the organization.

No, there is a miscommunication here. This use of <pride@chebucto.ns.ca>
is exactly what the ml-priv list is intended for - that is to say as a
public way for people to send feedback to the people responsible for the
site.

> But, all of the volunteers involved in the organization don't need to
> get this external correspondence.

Exactly, so you could make a seperate list for all volunteers which could
be used for sundry communications purposes with & among this group. This
is a perfect illustration of an ml-pub list.

> So, could you create a second one, please, for internal discussions of
> volunteers and committee members?  I guess it'll be incorrectly our
> ml-priv.

No, as per the above, it wwill be an ml-pub list. However, to do this:

1) You need to decide on a name, whether it is public or private (only
members of a private list can find out who is on it); open or closed
(anyone can subscribe to an open list; a closed list require permission of
the list owner) and moderated or not. For your purposes it sounds like
private, closed and unmoderated. Yes?

2) Who will the list-owner be?

3) What will the list be called?

4) Send this request to David Potter <ab934@chebucto.ns.ca>, of CCN
Mailing List Administration since at this stage (after the creation of an
IP) CCN-IP members cannot create a new list.

> Alternatively you can move pride@chebucto to ml-pub, and make the new
> ml-priv if you want things to look tidy in your books.

Tidy just the way it is!

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom