PPP documents: Administration

Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:27:45 -0400 (AST)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: Robert Adams <ac200@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN Technical Committee <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>, Andrew Wright <au141@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Hi David!

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, David L. Potter wrote:

> In actual fact I think we want to seriously consider using the IP
> 'mechanism' for system editing groups such as the Helpdesk, PDA,
> training, etc...
>
> This will bring those system directories under the new `direct-ftp`
> system and will provide better control of mailing lists etc...

Well, this ideas seesm to have some merits. My concerns/questions would
be:

1) The IPDB currently has structures that are specifically related to our
administration of IPs. They must be marked as have been through IP
Training & that an IP Agreement has been received before the IP can be
created; there are ml-priv & ml-pub lists and entries from i)p jumpcuts,
etc. Do we ignore these? Modify the IPDB to allow a different sent of
'IP's' to be managed?

We have always administered CCN resources differently then IP resources.
My question relates to what will happen to other administrative mechanisms
if we blend these two seperate streams together? There are other scripts
which check IP status; still others that create a list of IPs (ips.html)
keyed to jumpcuts, etc.

These distinctions are actually quite useful for certain administrative
and user purposes. Also, for instance, we have used I)p shortcuts for IP
resources and G)o shortcuts for administrative resources, etc.

2) If we splinter apart the help resources into several subgroups does
this not complicate the overall administration and coherence of these
resources? Individuals will have to be on multiple edit groups (or not).
We certainly could have multiple majordomo lists (as, indeed, we already
do) for help resources but is it not advantageous to retain a single edit
group and a unified directory structure under /csuite/info/Help?

I'm neither for nor against this idea, however, I think we should
carefully elaborate a proposed structure before we depart from what has
already been established.

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom