dalnet_friends ?

Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 13:50:46 -0400 (AST)
From: Justin Little <am904@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "David L. Potter" <potter@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>, ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca

Ok...
was just wandering if there was any kind of shortcut here... like some
mailing listservers have this but in order to subscribe you have to
athencticate your email by sending a code back to the list server which
tells it that the email address is atenticaded and that person wanted to
actually join the list... i geuss this is not the case here..

as well.. on the mailing list home page (i made for the list) i put a link
to help people with mailing lists....

thanks

justin

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, David L. Potter wrote:

> Hi Justin...
>
> The proper way to subscribe to a majordomo mailing list is via
> 'authenticated' email... submitting an http form from a browser is no
> guarantee that the 'subscribee' is who they say they are... With a form,
> I could subscribe _you_ to a list (mlm, porn, ....) with mail... if the
> request is to subscribe someone at a different address... such as
>
> dpotter@chebucto.ns.ca requests you subscribe ab934@chebucto.ns.ca
>
> ...majordomo asks the listowner to approve the request, normally as a list
> owner I would check with ab934 to make sure he or she wanted to join the
> list...
>
> As a listowner there's some comfort in knowing that the people subscribed,
> understand how to (use email to) 'unsubscribe' etc....
>
> -----
>
> In the past, we have used a script to subscribe people who are logged-in
> to CCN to a CCN list (guest logins excluded) ...basically the login
> process provides the authentication.
>
> david potter
>

> On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Christopher Majka wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Justin Little wrote:
> >
> > > everything sounds great to me,
> > > the name dalnet_chat will work fine :)
> > > thanks.....
> > >
> > > justin...
> > >
> > > ps.. this maybe should go to userhelp :P but i was just wandering if there
> > > was some sort of cgi script that will allow ppl to register right away by
> > > clicking on it.. ive already made a registration page for the list
> > > (http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~am904) but was wandering if i could add that
> > > in...
> >
> > Registration page looks great! I don't think there is any way you could
> > further automate the procedure of list subscription, especially since you
> > are collecting all sorts of information beyond what majordomo requires.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Chris

> > Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
> > Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
> > URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html
> >
> > "We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
> > even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom

barta