Why we should all be concerned for the future of CCN

Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 15:54:36 -0300
To: "Norman L. DeForest" <af380@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Peter Morgan <ae112@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: CCN Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>, Richard Rudnicki <foxpoint@fox.nstn.ca>, Ccn Board <ccn-board@chebucto.ns.ca>,

Region to participate in an electronic public space.  Us
Norman,

Thanks for your note. Comments interspersed.

>> - Our current web site has not been redesigned (graphics or information
>> architecture) in a number of years.
>
>Is it *really* that bad?  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Yes, for someone new to CCN it is that bad. The front page does not give
any indication of who we are or what we do. There is a link to help, but no
obvious indication that one can be a member or become an IP.

The categories of information are fine: there is just no indication of the
vast wealth of information therein, etc.

>Thanks for the complement.  I hope I have contributed to that.

Substantially

>[snip]
>> Whether or not you agree with my vision is less important than that we
>> agree to move on with a number of significant changes. These include:
>[snip]
>> - redesign the logon page, front page and section pages on the CCN site so
>> that they a) better highlight our purpose and services b) better highlight
>> our IP's and c) create a modern visually pleasing impression of CCN
>
>... without sacrificing its usability for text browsers, I hope.

Agreed

>Included in the commitment for accessibility for all should be a
>commitment for accessibility for the visually impaired.
>
>[snip]
>> - revamp every process so that a) it is efficient from a community member
>> point of view and b) it is easy to administer (Why not a 1-page new member
>> sign up screen? Name, address, user agreement, options (custom name, users
>> guide, disk space, etc) , secure credit card payment, click here to join
>> button)
>[snip]
>
>The requirement for mailed-in photocopies of identification should not be

I spoke with our lawyer and he said as long as there was no other way to
get the services (Ie by using a different URL to by pass the registration
process), an electronic "I Agree" was sufficient.

>discarded, in my opinion.  A number of free (and some not-so-free)

Agreed that many organizations attempting what CCN has done have spent
countless hours on such problems. I actually think John van Gurp and now
Michael Colbounes deft handling of complaints and abuses has at least as
much to do with this as any signed documents.

>that are unavailable to me (even if I could afford them) because they
>accept payment by credit card only.

We offer text-based access and we always should. I believe we should, in
the same spirit, always offer other ways to pay than using a credit card.
However, that does not mean we should not let people pay by credit cards.

>Of course, once an account is opened, any additional services *could*
>be made available via on-line forms.  It would be necessary for CCN

A very necessary direction, in my mind.

Peter Morgan
Chair, Chebucto Community Network

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca

CHEBUCTO STATS
	4900+ active members
	almost 200 information providers
	4.8 million page impressions/month
	22,000 outbound email messages daily

MISSION STATEMENT
	CCN is a volunteer organization which provides the technology,
infrastructure and training that enables all people in the Greater Halifax
Region to participate in an electronic public space.  Users can gather and
share information and take part in exchanges and dialogue that enrich their
lives and their community.

GETTING A CHEBUCTO ACCOUNT
Chebucto accounts are free, but a $20/year adult membership is strongly
encouraged. Anyone with modem access and a terminal communications program
(e.g. hyperterminal on Windows 95) can dial in to 494-8006 and login as
"guest" with no password. The shortcut "g register" will allow one to
register to obtain a personal account. Public access facilities are
available in all the library
branches in Halifax. Human help is available at 494-2449