IP revenues

Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 16:02:22 -0300 (ADT)
From: Peter Mortimer <ag500@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Peter Morgan <ae112@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, Douglas Rigby <drigby@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Peter Morgan wrote:

> Peter,
>
> I am wondering if we can propose a fee structure for IP's. I want to use
> something like:

Generally, I support the idea, comments are interspersed...

> - IP space is available to all at no charge
> (includes xxxmb web space, email address, 2 mail lists, directory of sort
> www.chebucto.ns.ca/~blahblahorg etc.)

I think we should be careful about limiting the amount of space.  We
haven't done so before and I suspect that some groups already use a large
amount.  It might be worthwhile to check out some of the larger sites to
see what the outer limits :-)  may be.

> - Membership fees include additional benefits
>
> Level 1: $200/yr includes xxmb ++ web space, 5 email addresses, 3 mail
> lists, directory of sort www.chebucto.ns.ca/~blahblahorg etc.)

See  above.  Also... there are some organizations that give us $200 a
year for what they presently receive.  Do we want to offer additional
email addresses and mail lists for this amount, or should we consider
charging more?  This is one of the reasons I wanted to get a handle on
the annual income now received from IP's.

I'd suggest $300 for what you"ve listed.

> Level 2: $400/yr

I don't think level 2 is necessary for now

> Level 3: $750 (essentially offer virtual hosting)

I think the amount is excessive unless we can ensure a particular level
of service.  If we require a fee payment, organizations will expect
service. I don't think that we can provide it yet.

I think $500 - $600 should be our maximum level for now.

> If you agree can we put something forward tomorrow?

I won't be able to attend tomorrow - I'm working until at least 8:30.

> At 03:04 PM 24/03/98 Tuesday, Douglas Rigby wrote:
> >With help from Blaine and his knowledge of the 'grep' command we
> >teased IP and "other" donations from two different sources
> >in Chebucto to yield -after manipulation - the following:
> >
> >Period             IP     Other   Total  % of Member Rev
> >Jan - Dec/97      1675    1419    3094   4
> >Jan - Mar 15/98   1045    1290    2335
> >
> >It may be possible to cluster users by their contribution under
> >categories such as:
> >$0, 1-19, 20-49, 50-99, 100+

   ----
   Peter Mortimer