Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:47:04 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: ip-help@chebucto.ns.ca
cc: David Potter <potter@csuite.ns.ca>, CCN Technical Committee <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>, Information Provider Committee <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi all,

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998,   wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
>    I agree with your assessment of the problem.  With so many lists to
> look after, I've gotten myself in a 'r-y-n-y' habit.  By automatically
> typing in 'ryny' (without the quotes) each and every time, I address the
> reply to the sender of the original query, include a copy of their email
> message and send a cc: to the list.
>
>    I do it so many times each and every day that it is second nature. :-)
>

> CCN IP-Help

> On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Christopher Majka wrote:

<snip>

> > Can I use this opportunity to make another pitch for this to be the
> > default configuration for *every* ml-priv list? ;->
> >
> > Here is the form of the header that is generated by a Lynx C)omment (i.e.
> > engaging the ml-priv list:
> >
> > 	Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 08:43:27 EDT
> > 	From: BEROB <BEROB@aol.com>
> > 	To: taichi@chebucto.ns.ca
> > 	Subject: No Subject
> >
> > In almost every instance what ml-priv administrators want to do is reply
> > to the _sender_ of the comment and _not_ to the ml-priv list itself. I'm
> > not sure what entity sets this value of the "Reply-To:" header but in the
> > case of ml-priv lists (which are the majority of lists we have on the CCN)
> > this configuration is simply confusing.

I just found the following in my files from June, 1997. We looked at this
issue then and we're still in the same situation. Can we consider a
change? :->

Cheers!

Chris

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 16:08:03 -0300 (ADT)
From: Christopher Majka <nextug@is.dal.ca>
To: James Fifield <fifield@ug.cs.dal.ca>
Cc: CCN-TECH <ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca>, CCN-IP <ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: CCN Mail Handling with Mailto & MF3

Hi,

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, James Fifield wrote:

> > When I receive this message the field headers are such that the Reply To:
> > is directed _back_ to the majordomo list rather than to the person
> > originating the message. The shoe should, be on the other foot, yes? no?
> >
> No.  I assume this is how we wanted to set it by default.  Even if you
> put your own "Reply-To: " header in there to yourself, (I've tried in the
> past), it is replaced with a Reply-To: <listname>.
>
> It seems to be working correctly, whether it should be working another
> way is a decision I'll leave up to the IP people.  If the general
> consensus is to have it changed, I think something could be done about it.

That's precisely the point I'm trying to make. The normal sense of 'to
reply' is to send a missive to the party that originated the query. Given
that ml-priv groups are used primarily not as communications forms among
IP Editors (most of which have only 1 or 2 IPEs) but as methods of
channeling feedback from users to IP Editors, then the default position
should be to reply to the party that made the query rather than the list
itself since in 99.9% of cases the query is not coming from within the
ml-priv group.

Should we not revisit this?

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka                               <aa051@chebucto.ns.ca>
Editor-in-Chief: Chebucto Community Net - Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
URL = http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Home.html

"We have ... in this country ... far too many captive editors who cannot
even be heard to rattle their chains."              -- Carl E. Lindstrom