RCS

Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:32:12 -0400 (AST)
From: Edward Dyer <aa146@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Mike Cormier <aq421@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca, ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca

Hello Mike,

Le Mar, 17 Mar 1998, Mike Cormier écrivait :

> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:27:46 -0400 (AST)
> From: Mike Cormier <aq421@chebucto.ns.ca>
> To: ccn-ip@chebucto.ns.ca
> Cc: ccn-tech@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: RCS
>
> Is it possible to download a file, edit it on my machine, upload it and
> then rename it? i was told it was possible, and when i do it says
> something about not being in sync and other stuff. could someone please
> help me?
> 	Mike Cormier
> 		Win 95 Division PDA

It should work fine provided you take one more step:

>download the file
>edit and test locally
>upload to your home directory (or a subdirectory of your home)
>modify the name while the file is in your home files area.
>Install (shift I or Full menu item 3) and select the correct
destination directory.

If you try to shortcut by uploading to the target directory
directly, then several undesirable things happen.
(1) RCS will not be updated, so if you edit the file online, RCS may
complain or substitute the older version.  This is not a problem if
you ALWAYS edit offline.
(2) Your file will not be added to the "recent" database
(3) modify file names in IP areas may not be supported in future
updates to the system.

By the way, if you are using Win95, why not give the file its
correct Long file name on the local machine, then you shouldn't need
to change it on CCN?

Ed Dyer aa146@chebucto.ns.ca   (902) H 826-7496  CCN  Assistant Postmaster
Religion Page Editor, Chebucto Community Network http://www.chebucto.ns.ca
IP Committee Tech Liason

P.S. I'm trying out the new version of TeraTerm Pro for '95, I'll
let you know what I think in a few days.  E.D