HIGH: rc.csuite

Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 23:25:53 -0300
From: Landon Boyd <landon@csuite.chebucto.ns.ca>
To: csuite-tech@chebucto.ns.ca

On Sun, May 04, 1997 at 09:41:41PM -0300, John Nemeth wrote:
> On May 4,  9:29pm, Landon Boyd wrote:
> }
> } There is a csuite initialization script which should be run on system
> } startup and shutdown.  It is currently in csuite:~landon/rc.csuite.
>
>      Is it essential for this script to run at system shutdown?
> Standard BSD systems do not allow for shutdown scripts, only startup.

No.  We haven't been running the script on shutdown on our machines, but
the facility is there to do so.

> For maximum portability, all programs should do the appropriate thing
> upon receipt of SIGTERM.  The startup script should deal with things
> like removing lockfiles (and other stuff) that may have been left
> behind by a system crash.  Besides, due to the possibility of
> crashese, you can't count on shutdown scripts being run even on
> systems that do support, so for maximum reliability/robustness you
> can't rely on shutdown scripts.

Points noted.  I hope this rc.csuite is at least a start in the
right direction.

--

Landon Boyd                          landon@chebucto.ns.ca
Distribution Support Technician,     http://chebucto.ns.ca/~landon