csuite: FCN IP Application for Testing Anonymous (suivi)

Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 14:03:49 -0300
From: Jamie Fifield <aa006@csuite.chebucto.ns.ca>
To: csuite-tech@chebucto.ns.ca

Notice the @@@SHORTR_NAME@@@ and @@@SHORT_NMAME

I don't know where this came from, but this user is french.  Also, the
line spacing on this is pretty poor.

---------- Message r=E9achemin=E9 ----------
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 13:00:30 -0300
From: http@csuite.chebucto.ns.ca
To: aa006@csuite.chebucto.ns.ca
Subject: FCN IP Application for Testing Anonymous

Thanks for your application to become an information provider (IP) on
Frugal Community Net.

***Please Save This Message***.  It contains information on the steps in
becoming an information provider, along with an application for IP
training. It also contains some important suggestions for your website
design.=20

**Please Consider a Contribution**

FCN is free to use but not free to operate.=20

We need your support in order to support you.  Please consider making a
donation according to what your organization can afford. Any contribution
goes to support FCN services such as upgrading our=20
functionality,
increasing our number of dial-in lines, developing our software, etc. and
thus works directly to your benefit. A website on the Frugal Community Net=
=20
is a two-way
partnership. We want to do our best to help you and your organization in
your work. We hope we can count on your support in helping us do that!=20

** The IP Agreement **

The next step is to download, complete and send the IP agreement to our
office. The IP agreement can be found on the IP pages. It can be reached
via via http://csuite.chebucto.ns.ca/Services/IPsupport/index.html or on th=
FCN type 'g ip' and follow the link "Send in the On-line IP=20
Application Form."

As part of completing the IP agreement, you must designate one or more
people, known as IP editors, who will be responsible for maintaining your
on-line information.=20

Please remember, the agreement should be signed by a person with signing
authority in your organization (if you are applying for an organization to
become an Information Provider).

** IP Training **

Please forward this message to each IP editor in your organization.=20

If they are new to computing and @@@SHORT_NMAME@@@ they should first=20
register for User Training. Each IP Editor should complete the lines=20
below and forward it to training@csuite.chebucto.ns.ca.=20

Your e-mail (@@@SHORTR_NAME@@@ user ID):
Course name:
Time:
Location:
IP Organization:

If they already have computing skills, they should each send a message to
training@csuite.chebucto.ns.ca requesting they be registered in IP=20
Training.=20

Each should include a description of computing background and other
relevant information such as experience on FCN, internet=20
experience, and skills in HTML editing.=20

** Liaising With Your Editor **
                                       =20
Please work closely with your FCN Editor, who will be=20
assigned to you based on your directory placement:=20

1) check your material to ensure that it is technically correct

2) ensure you are aware of any FCN style or content guidelines

3) make sure the site adheres to the FCN IP Agreement.

FCN Editors need to do all of these things before they can link=20
your files to the main FCN pages. They can also help you=20
speed up editing by alerting you to possible problems in your files.=20
                                                                       =20
** Your IP Directory **                                                =20
                                                                       =20
In order to create your IP directory we need to know a number of things.
Please liase with your FCN editor to help you decide on=20
them.          =20

a) THE NATURE OF YOUR ORGANIZATION

What does your organization do? Knowing this will help our editors to
determine both where in the FCN directory structure your=20
directory should be placed, and what page it should be linked to. In many=
=20
cases this will be obvious but in other circumstances you can provide us=20
with assistance (e.g. is your group a recreational or professional one,=20
etc.) that will help to best situate it.=20
                     =20
b) DIRECTORY NAME                                                      =20

What name do you wish your directory to have? Longer names may be more
descriptive, but shorter ones are easier to type in URLs (e.g.
/YourOrganization vs. /YO).
                                    =20
Directory names must start with a capital letter (e.g. /YourOrganization=20
rather than /yourorganization).
                                                                       =20
c) HOME PAGE NAME                                                      =20

What will you name the home page? As above, longer names may be more
descriptive but shorter names are easier to write and remember. (e.g.
YourOrganization_home.html vs. home.html) N.B. if you call your home page
index.html you can omit the file name from your URL. However, please do
not create any files called index.html until after you have finished
training.=20

For example, if you are placed in the "CommunitySupport" area, and you
have chosen "YO" as your directory, and "index.html" as your home page,
your home page URL will be:=20

http://csuite.chebucto.ns.ca/CommunitySupport/YO
                                                                       =20
d) NAME FOR JUMPKEY TO DIRECTORY                                       =20

Would you like to define a 'jumpkey' for your home page? If so, what
should it be? A jumpkey is activated on FCN by the 'i'=20
command. It allows readers to 'jump' directly to your home page from=20
anywhere within the Frugal Community Net.
It can be the same as the name of your mailing list, although it does not
need to be so.  (e.g. if 'yourorg' is your jumpkey typing 'I yourorg'
anywhere in the FCN will take readers directly to your home=20
page.)=20
                                                                       =20
When all this has been decided, and when you have completed your=20
FCN IP Training, your IP directory will be created and you=20
can install your files in it.=20
                                                                       =20
After completing training, please EMail ccn-ip saying that you are ready
for your directory to be created. Once your FCN Editor has=20
checked your files, they can be linked to the FCN pages. If the=20
files have already been set up in the public directory of your=20
FCN account, this check can be done in advance.=20

e) TWO POINTS TO CONSIDER IN DESIGNING YOUR DOCUMENTS

1) We are asking all Information Provider sites to the FCN to=20
include, somewhere on their home page, a brief acknowledgement of the=20
FCN and a link back to the FCN Home Page. This=20
is so that users arriving at your site from other servers will know where=
=20
your site is situated and will be able to link back to the=20
FCN. It should be roughly of the form:=20

We would like to acknowledge the generosity of the <A
HREF=3D"../../Home.html">Frugal Community Net</A> in making this site
possible.<p>

The exact choice of wording is up to you.

2) You may have noticed that the FCN pages have now adopted a=20
standard button bar at the bottom of all our IP-related pages. It looks=20
like this:=20

      [Find]  [Recent]  [Contacts]  [Home]  [Web]

If you see our pages via a graphic browser, you'll notice that all these
links have standard icons. We have adopted this as a way of b