[NatureNS] Dissecting microscope aid

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 19:32:28 -0300

Hi Steve & All,

     To paraphrase Mark Twain, the necessity of expensive gadgets is
greatly exaggerated by expensive gadget salesmen. That is their job.

     Extracting a pinned or pointed insect from a Styrofoam pad and
inserting it at a different angle, without damage to the voucher, is as
easy as rolling off of a log in rough water. Styrofoam is mostly air,
after all, so pins slip in easily, slip out easily and the hole closes
almost as fully as a hole in water does when a solid object is
extracted. Thus the same pad has served for many thousands of pin changes.

     And one should not handle pinned insects while wearing boxing
gloves; especially in the dark or in haste.

    {On an interesting side note; Styrofoam shrinks to about 5% of
original volume when in close contact with crystals of
paradichlorobenzene. And I agree; when glueing something to Styrofoam a
glue which does not dissolve Styrofoam is indicated. }

     On the other hand, pinning Arthropods which have a hard exoskeleton
or pointing tiny fragile/ appendage knotted vouchers, free of damage or
without obscuring diagnostic features, can be a genuine challenge. More
so in spades if a new batch of pointing liquid fails to harden as
intended  and things gradually spiral off of the points over a period of
months (This happened once when my 1960 batch ran out}.

     At times static electricity causes very light insects to leap away
from a poised point just before contact.

     Pinning and pointing these delicate things is however good training
for tying a midge fly on a #16 hook. And yes Paul; it worked great one
evening when all else had failed.

YT, DW, Kentville