[NatureNS] Fireflies in June?

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 17:52:48 -0300

&lt;div&gt;On Jun 6, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Rick Whitman wrote:&l
--------------28A34E5B28908B08511D60F8

Hi Patrick,

     Did you notice whether it was unusually warm, for this time of
year, that evening when you saw the flashes ? One day this week, June 4
I think, the yard in Kentville was swarming with a diversity of insects.
More activity I think than I have ever seen in any location; warm, calm
and lots of flowers.

    YT, DW, Kentville

On 6/6/2020 3:53 PM, Patrick Kelly wrote:
> A good point!
>
> I think what I should have noted was that as an amateur astronomer, I
> spend a fair bit of time outside in the dark for most of the year.
> Having spent 30 years at this location, I have never seem any
> fireflies in June, late July being the earliest. If we do have a
> species that is an "early bird", they must be having a great year!
>
> Pat
>

> On Jun 6, 2020, at 9:03 AM, Rick Whitman wrote:
>
>> CAUTION: The Sender of this email is not from within Dalhousie.
>>
>> It's important to remember that there are at least several species.
>> So while we may recall when the most common species comes out
>> (whichever that is) we don't remember the secondary species. And
>> populations of each species can vary a lot year to year. Our displays
>> have always been poor compared to what you can see in the lower 2/3
>> of the US or the tropics.
>> As laypeople, we tend to talk about "blackflies", "mosquitoes",
>> "ladybeetles" or "fireflies" as if there was one species of each.
>> This is pretty far from reality as we have a number, or many, species
>> of each of these, as well as most other insects that we name
>> generically. And, of course, with natural selection EACH species has
>> its own unique life history and time of occurrence throughout the 6
>> or 8 decent months.
>> Regards,
>> Rick.
>>
>> On Fri, 5 Jun 2020 at 22:48, Patrick Kelly <Patrick.Kelly@dal.ca
>> <mailto:Patrick.Kelly@dal.ca>> wrote:
>>
>>     I was out around 10:30 PM last night... as I was looking for the
>>     Starlink satellites to pass overhead.... On my way down to the
>>     nearby cemetery, I saw two flashes from a firefly.... and now
>>     there are a few flashing in my backyard..... I have seen
>>     fireflies here in the past, and where I grew up in Spryfield, but
>>     only in August and and even then, only on really warm still
>>     nights.....
>>
>>     Is it normal for them to be active at this time of the year?
>>
>>     Pat
>>

>>     Patrick Kelly
>>     159 Town Road
>>     Falmouth NSB0P 1L0
>>     Canada
>>
>>     (902) 472-2322
>>

> Patrick Kelly
>
> 159 Town Road
>
> Falmouth NSB0P 1L0
>
> Canada
>

> (902) 472-2322

--------------28A34E5B28908B08511D60F8

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      of year, that evening when you saw the flashes ? One day this
      week, June 4 I think, the yard in Kentville was swarming with a
      diversity of insects. More activity I think than I have ever seen
      in any location; warm, calm and lots of flowers. <br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:E08EED64-D444-4512-9717-8A4C185363C8@dal.ca">
        charset=windows-1252">
      A good point!
        astronomer, I spend a fair bit of time outside in the dark for
        most of the year. Having spent 30 years at this location, I have
        never seem any fireflies in June, late July being the earliest.
        If we do have a species that is an "early bird", they must be
        having a great year! </div>
                cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"
                align="center">
                <tbody>
                      style="line-height:0px;font-size:0px;mso-line-height-rule:exactly;">
style="background:#707372;background-color:#707372;width:100%;border-radius:5px;overflow:hidden;"
                        cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0"
                        align="center">
                        <tbody>
                              #fbe122;padding:4px
                              8px;text-align:left;vertical-align:top;">
                                cellpadding="0" border="0">
                                <tbody>
style="font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:16px;text-align:left;color:#ffffff;"><span
style="font-weight:bold;font-size:12px;">CAUTION:</span> The Sender of
                                        this email is not from within
                                        Dalhousie.</div>