Fwd: Re: [NatureNS] Question: Starling Behaviour

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 09:18:05 -0300

              &lt;b&gt;To
--------------58D8F32617568B3F641ED2B6

Further to my initial comment. That Starling alarm call worked well but
only if played at the right moment. When Starlings approached a field
they did not just fly in and land. They would first land in a tree which
provided a good view of the field and after a few minutes fly to land
and feed if it seemed safe.

     If the alarm call was played just before they landed in an
observation tree then, without exception, they would turn in flight and
retreat. If played after they landed they ignored it.

     The initial capture of a Starling to record the alarm call caused,
by accident, detachment of the nest which held a young Starling so,
feeling responsible, I took it home and cared for it until it was able
to fly. It quickly became tame but responded curiously when a ping pong
ball was held in front of it. It would look down and away and in
general  act guilty.

     Another aspect involved measuring the DC electrical voltage
sufficient to shock birds with wet and dry feet and to effect this I
captured some with a mist net and held them in cages until this was
measured. Cedar Waxwings took to confinement well and, as soon as I
entered the enclosure and sat down, they would often fly over and land
on my arm. Drawing on memory, neither Robins nor Starlings did this.

Yt, DW,, Kentville