[NatureNS] Expand Universe or Tired Light

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 21:54:04 -0300

Hi Steve & All,

     As I indicated earlier, my physics at  this juncture mostly
revolves around a diet rich in plant fiber. But getting back to 'tired
light' if you wish to call it that--- I agree that interaction with
particles does not wash.

     But I wonder about destructive interference. When two waves are out
of phase the resultant is zero. An observer sees only that light emitted
by the near surface but, in general, light will be emitted in all
directions by a spherical  luminous body. And light from the most
distant source will have the greatest opportunity to experience
interference, in transit, and light from less distant sources will have
progressively less opportunity.

     Or, expressed in greater detail, if there are many light sources,
which is the case, then light from more distant sources must be exposed
in transit to more light from sources which are less distant and
consequently have greater opportunity to experience destructive
interference and this will preferentially have least effect at the red
end (lower frequency) and greatest effect at the blue end (higher
frequency) of the spectrum. So there will be a red shift which increases
with distance from observer.

     I am more comfortable with a universe which does not expand because
1) the universe as we know it, from observation, is well adapted to
perpetual renewal, 2) I find it difficult to imagine a time when the
universe did not exist, except as a infinitely dense something which for
no clear reason decided to blow up to become ever larger. 3) Although
history is important and interesting, and Astrophysics and related
topics are fun, the pressing issues ahead revolve around Climate Change;
how to get past the empty promise stage and take coordinated action with
trade penalties for slackers.

     Yt, DW, Kentville