[NatureNS] Spring Sounds?

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Cc: Aleta Karstad <karstad@pinicola.ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 12:47:12 -0400

82A'&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;p class=3DMsoNor
On 28-Apr.-20 11:59 a.m., Jacquie Dale wrote:

> We live up on the North Mountain and have a large pond in our yard. We have spring peepers and they have been peeping for a couple of weeks but we have noticed there are not nearly as numerous as previous years.

* It has been a strange spring in eastern Ontario, as well. I've
appended a notice I sent to our NatureList a few days ago, and last
night, when we had the first resumed calling heard from our house, it
was just a few cold Toads, with no Peepers. It seems to me that Peepers,
being so small, are reluctant to cross dry areas from their hibernation
sites to the breeding ponds unless the ground is wet from rain, and then
when there's rain they may all come down at once and do a lot of
breeding in a single night - and amplexed males don't call. The
intensity of calling is easy to assess, but it may not be a good measure
of frog populations for spring-breeding species, since the breeding
seasons where everything gets done in a couple of nights are likely the
best for the frogs, through reduced predation and exhaustion.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W