[NatureNS] Asian Ladybirds inside

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 12:52:19 -0400

          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-
On 4/18/2020 12:07 PM, Donna Crossland wrote:
> Thanks to Randy for stating what I was thinking also.  Don't release
> invasive Asian beetles.  They vacuum up nicely, much more easily than
> cluster flies, which are also on my list.  Seeing so many of these Asian
> beetles now, I do wonder what impact they are having on native insect
> diversity.  There are likely many tragedies in the insect world caused
> by a litany of recently introduced invasive species to which we are
> blissfully unaware.  I often wonder what life was like before cluster flies.

* well, of course in Canada, back in the day, east of some mountains in
BC there were no Earthworms to serve as hosts for the Cluster Flies. The
story is told that New York selected a native Ladybird Beetle as a State
Insect, but by the time the process had been processed, the State Insect
was extinct in the state, due to crowding out by the Asian Ladybirds.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
'Wildlife on Roads' -
http://doingnaturalhistory.blogspot.ca/2018/03/upcoming-book-wildlife-on-roads-handbook.html
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
"Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
  -
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html