[NatureNS] Lady bugs inside

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 09:59:12 -0300

--------------D3C128385EE463C12078B889

It's great to distinguish these beetles.  It is interesting to note that
the Asian beetle; the latest little pest in our houses, is the result of
an agricultural biocontrol agent gone wrong.  Now it's chosen to live
with us.  I am fairly unappreciative of it.

I wonder, however, since it preys on aphids and scale, whether it might
go after beech scale, performing some redeeming activity other than
climbing on my windows and walls.  Our beech trees need all the help
they can get, now that they also have to deal with beech leaf-mining
weevil.  Keep an eye out for browning beech leaves, starting from the
leaf tips, this spring, a sign of its arrival.

Donna Crossland

--

--------------D3C128385EE463C12078B889

  <head>
  </head>
      note that the Asian beetle; the latest little pest in our houses,
      is the result of an agricultural biocontrol agent gone wrong.  Now
      it's chosen to live with us.  I am fairly unappreciative of it.</p>
      might go after beech scale, performing some redeeming activity
      other than climbing on my windows and walls.  Our beech trees need
      all the help they can get, now that they also have to deal with
      beech leaf-mining weevil.  Keep an eye out for browning beech
      leaves, starting from the leaf tips, this spring, a sign of its
      arrival.</p>
      Townsend wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAHLD0ivd9v3cmN98BuK7DxmhU9nKZDhJLP97xf3F-DLpjcXaqA@mail.gmail.com">
            href="https://www.diffen.com/difference/Asian_Lady_Beetle_vs_Ladybug"
            moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.diffen.com/difference/Asian_Lady_Beetle_vs_Ladybug</a></div>
            AM David Webster &lt;<a href="mailto:dwebster@glinx.com"
              moz-do-not-send="true">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                a common name for beetles of the family Coccinellidae.
                They often spend winters in attics, under shingles, in
                sheds, and in natural cavities; shelter. They will
                manage fine now  if you have a compost pile, woody
                debris etc in which they can shelter.</p>
                    not lady beetles?</div>
href="https://www.hunker.com/12273930/how-to-get-rid-of-those-bugs-that-look-like-lady-bugs"
                        target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">https://www.hunker.com/12273930/how-to-get-rid-of-those-bugs-that-look-like-lady-bugs</a></div>
                      2020 at 7:27 AM Gerald &lt;<a