[NatureNS] corvidae: grackles in downtown Dartmouth

From: Parker Donham <parker@donham.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 22:23:10 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

class=3DMsoNormal&gt;=EF=BB=BF&lt;o:p&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;div&gt;&lt;p class=3DMsoNor
--000000000000d6492205a30dd075

Well, sewage outfalls attract birds everywhere. ACAP CB sponsors an annual
"sewer stroll," a winter birding tour of outfalls in various communities. I
think there is one in Halifax, too. Aside from a horrible smell, the main
impact of the sewage in the Tar Ponds was to produce lush vegetation and
wildflowers on the sides of the pond. The sewage was diverted to a
treatment plant in the early 2000s.

It's hard to argue that drawing wildlife to an estuary contaminated by coal
tar is healthy, but there is little evidence it caused much harm. Dave
McCorquodale or Katherine Jones (who studied fish in the Tar Ponds) might
want to weigh in.

Incidentally, if you have ever walked past the Cunard statue and around the
NS Power building on a hot day on the Halifax Waterfront, you may have
noticed a sweet smell. That's naphthalene, a component of coal tar. The NS
Power building began life as a manufactured gas plant (essentially a small
coking plant) that produced goal gas for street lighting. It's the same
stuff that contaminated the Tar Ponds, only it was much smaller, less
controversial, and didn't get cleaned up as thoroughly.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 7:57 PM <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hopefully, the sewage and tar ponds effluent weren=E2=80=99t harmful.

--=20
*Parker Donh**am*
  +1-902-565-5555
  parker@donham.ca
  Contrarian.ca

--000000000000d6492205a30dd075

l, sewage outfalls attract birds everywhere. ACAP CB sponsors an annual &qu=
ot;sewer stroll,&quot; a winter birding tour of outfalls in various communi=
ties. I think there is one in Halifax, too. Aside from a horrible smell, th=
e main impact of the sewage in the Tar Ponds was to produce lush vegetation=
 and wildflowers on the sides of the pond. The sewage was diverted to a tre=
atment plant in the early 2000s.<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" styl=
e=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-=
size:small">It&#39;s hard to argue that drawing wildlife to an estuary cont=
aminated by coal tar is healthy, but there is little evidence it caused muc=
h harm. Dave McCorquodale or Katherine Jones (who studied fish in the Tar P=
onds) might want to weigh in.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fo=
nt-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:sm=
all">Incidentally, if you have ever walked past the Cunard statue and aroun=
d the NS Power building on a hot day on the Halifax Waterfront, you may hav=
e noticed a sweet smell. That&#39;s naphthalene, a component of coal tar. T=
he NS Power building began life as a manufactured gas plant (essentially a =
small coking plant) that produced goal gas for street lighting. It&#39;s th=
e same stuff that contaminated the Tar Ponds, only it was much smaller, les=
s controversial, and didn&#39;t get cleaned up as thoroughly.<br></div></di=
at, Apr 11, 2020 at 7:57 PM &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.c=
gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(20=
4,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div lang=3D"EN-CA"><div class=3D"gmail-m_-837=
7674378545340914WordSection1"><p class=3D"MsoNormal"><span lang=3D"EN-US">H=
opefully, the sewage and tar ponds effluent weren=E2=80=99t harmful.<u></u>=
n></b><span lang=3D"EN-US"> <a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca=
=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.=
/p><div><p class=3D"MsoNormal">For the many, many years that Sydney fought =