[NatureNS] bird notes, March 22 to 31, 2020 -- eagle nests etc.

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.glinx.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.glinx.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2020 20:47:37 -0300

--------------B97F832005DC695DFE49EA5D

Hi George & All,

     I am just pointing out that their population is artificially high
due to a large chicken supplement to their diet. And this has implications.

     They are large and many potential prey are small so one may expect
that, one by one, vulnerable species will hit the skids. This reminds my
of the Sea Gull cycle.

     The common Gull became threatened in the early 1900's due to
harvesting of eggs for food so egg gathering was  forbidden. They
responded gradually and eventually became so abundant that they were
threatening Terns.

     A sensible solution would have been to allow Sea Gull egg
harvesting but instead people were hired (or rounded up) to make
distracting noises whenever a male gull was about to get lucky in areas
where Terns also nested.

     So one by one, and I would not care to predict what will take the
hit, but logically waterfowl which frequent fresh water/coastal water
will be vulnerable. Perhaps even Sea gulls or Terns.

YT, DW, Kentville