[NatureNS] Some totally pointless calculations

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 11:09:28 -0400

--------------336B2FD0C08545A4A9F6417F

2/3 still to go.  Not particularly exciting Peter and I'm not a
pessimist.  (I'm not a glass half empty or half full guy.  I'm an
engineer and obviously the glass is the wrong size).

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 1/20/2020 9:58 AM, Peter Payzant wrote:
> If we take the time of the autumn solstice as marking the start of
> Winter, and the time of the spring equinox as marking the end of
> Winter, a few minutes on a spreadsheet can yield some pointless but
> cheering dates.
>
> The autumn solstice last year was December the 22nd at 04:19 (UTC).
> The spring equinox this year will be on March 20 at 03:50 (UTC).
>
> From these we can calculate that winter (defined this way) will be
> almost exactly 89 days long this year. We also get
>
> Winter 1/3 over: January 20 at 2009 UTC, or 4:09 pm AST.
>
> Winter 1/2 over: February 4 at 1604 UTC, or 12:04 pm AST
>
> Winter 2/3 over: February 19 at 1034 UTC, 6:34 am AST
>
> Anyway, some time this afternoon, winter will be 1/3 over.
>
> --- Peter Payzant

--------------336B2FD0C08545A4A9F6417F

  <head>
  </head>
      Peter and I'm not a pessimist.  (I'm not a glass half empty or
      half full guy.  I'm an engineer and obviously the glass is the
      wrong size).<br>
      Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:667151f0-37ce-219f-949e-925e6fed229e@payzant.net">If we
      take the time of the autumn solstice as marking the start of
      Winter, and the time of the spring equinox as marking the end of
      Winter, a few minutes on a spreadsheet can yield some pointless
      but cheering dates.
      The autumn solstice last year was December the 22nd at 04:19
      (UTC).
      The spring equinox this year will be on March 20 at 03:50 (UTC).
      From these we can calculate that winter (defined this way) will be