[NatureNS] Tree Swallow box report 2019

ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none;
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com;
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=none; dmarc=none;
From: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 17:18:45 +0000

&gt; as bad as I thought. We will see
--_000_DM6PR13MB325855785E53C1165BE5C686B7630DM6PR13MB3258namp_

Hi All,
      I agree that ovoid holes are probably the best solution. Maybe I'll m=
ake a few of the ovoid guards and 1-3/8" round hole guards for next season =
and place them on boxes located where squirrels have nested/roosted in the =
past as well as where I always get Tree Swallow nests.  We'll see.
      As for making the holes, spending some time to construct an accurate =
template and using a router to cut out the holes (1/4' straight bit to cut =
and 1/8' corner round bit to soften edges) makes the most sense to me - alt=
hough David's method of stretching hot Plexiglas over a wooden anvil sounds=
 like a fun experiment.
    There are a number of options as to the actual size and shape of the ho=
le. I think the short side should be 1-3/8" but there appears to be some di=
scussion as to the length and direction of the long side. Parker makes his =
hole more than 1-1/2"wide and less than 1-1/2' high. David has it at 1-1/2"=
 wide and less than 1-1/2" high. Lance Laviolette makes his 1-3/8' wide and=
 2-1/4" high. There are also a number of size and shape choices online; so =
what works best is TBD. All the best.
           Fritz