[NatureNS] Cornell Article

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.193.48; helo=[192.168.0.102]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 11:21:10 -0300

think relatively few on Naturens are that fortunate. But getting bac
--------------DB3671E8AA68BAFA7D64148A

Hi Dave P & All,

     Pit and Mound topography is a consequence of poor drainage, leading
to frequent wind fall and it becomes permanent because nearly all
infiltration is via the hollows which are consequently underlain by
ortstein. And growth is more vigorous in the more favorable soil
conditions of mounds so seedlings there prevail. With the development of
huge harvesting equipment this topography is no great problem but
previously there was an incentive, given an alternative,  to not cut in
such areas. The trees in not cut areas will have an opportunity to grow
older.

     I have seen isolated patches of old growth in other difficult
terrain; the pit and mound in these cases being macro instead of micro.

     When a tree falls across a road and someone cuts it, to enable
traffic on the road, a natural process is interrupted. But that does not
mean that the road should remain closed.

     I am not sure what the technical definition of old growth is. I
just had an 'old growth' tree cut; 12' circumference with a top
accordingly large; willow. I planted the darn thing as a cutting in
1967. So shame on me; interrupting a natural process twice.

YT, DW, Kentville