[NatureNS] Tiger Swallowtailss

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 20:50:16 -0300

What a magical moment, Larry.  I once saw an enormous grouping of Tiger
Swallowtails in Gaspesie on the road to parc de la Gaspesie.  The
scenery was already breath-taking along the river Cascapedia, and then
we encountered a marvelous, 'never-never land', magical mass of swirling
Tiger Swallowtails.  They were mud-daubing by the dozens, and we stopped
the car to enjoy the phenomenon among the Canada Anemones and sea of
Ostrich ferns.  (I love that countryside.)   That was many years ago
now, but I still think of it.  I have slides of this event, taken back
when slides were "the thing".  Remember slides? and carousel projectors?

I will check NNS FaceBook for your pics.  There are still some wonderful
spring moments remaining (ignoring the June 21st 'deadline').

Donna Crossland

Tupperville

On 2019-06-25 3:30 p.m., Larry Bogan wrote:
> Yesterday (24th) while bicycling along the Halfway River, I encounter two kaleidoscopes of Tiger Swallowtail butterflies. The first one had about 50 butterflies in it and the second about half that many. I stopped and watched the first after I distrubed them. They were at a muddy sight which is typical of this species. They all flew around for awhile but then slowly settled down at the on the mud again and congregated very close to each other.
>
> I got a few pictures and will post them on the naturNS facebook page later.

---