[NatureNS] Bird Habitats

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 11:01:34 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0000000000001d9418058b998ff2

Preaching to the choir ......... I'm sure everyone in this and similar
groups already feel as I do, that habitat is vital to migratory birds all
along their migration route, and that I enjoy birds because they're
interesting, beautiful, challenging to ID and photograph, are harbingers of
environmental change, etc. etc., and that enjoying the great outdoors is
pleasurable to middle class people like myself. So how do you justify/
explain their value in these terms to somebody whose livelihood and that of
their family depends on working in a pulp mill, or an open pit mine, in NS,
when there are no other jobs around, or engineering a condo block on the
Gulf Coast, or growing his meagre crop of wild rice in Venezuela, etc. etc.
- all of which are threats to the migratory birds that nest here in NS?   I
ask this because I recently had a conversation with someone who works in
Brazil, and is a supporter of the new president (who is a worse
environmentalist than Trump), but who told me that all his co-workers
support him because he promises to improve their standard of living, and
the long term environment somewhere else on the planet is not really
relevant to their humdrum and poor quality daily lives, --- and I couldn't
think of any convincing answers. How do others address this issue?

Richard

>> --
#################
Richard Stern,
Port Williams, NS, Canada
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0000000000001d9418058b998ff2

t-size:small">Preaching to the choir ......... I&#39;m sure everyone in thi=
s and similar groups already feel as I do, that habitat is vital to migrato=
ry birds all along their migration route, and that I enjoy birds because th=
ey&#39;re interesting, beautiful, challenging to ID and photograph, are har=
bingers of environmental change, etc. etc., and that enjoying the great out=
doors is pleasurable to middle class people like myself. So how do you just=
ify/ explain their value in these terms to somebody whose livelihood and th=
at of their family depends on working in a pulp mill, or an open pit mine, =
in NS, when there are no other jobs around, or engineering a condo block on=
 the Gulf Coast, or growing his meagre crop of wild rice in Venezuela, etc.=
 etc. - all of which are threats to the migratory birds that nest here in N=
S?=C2=A0 =C2=A0I ask this because I recently had a conversation with someon=
e who works in Brazil, and is a supporter of the new president (who is a wo=
rse environmentalist than Trump), but who told me that all his co-workers s=
upport him because he promises to improve their standard of living, and the=
 long term environment somewhere else on the planet is not really relevant =
to their humdrum and poor quality daily lives, --- and I couldn&#39;t think=
 of any convincing answers. How do others address this issue?</div><div cla=
ss=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmai=
l_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Richard</div></div><div class=3D"gmail=
_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex=
;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"gma=
il_quote"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8=
ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div lang=3D"EN=
-CA"><div class=3D"gmail-m_3573320179147267985m_-8334851935282795008WordSec=

--0000000000001d9418058b998ff2--