[NatureNS] Bird Habitats

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 08:37:46 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000393a0f058b9770ad

John
That question..what's it good for..started me thinking about Endangeted
Eastern Mountain Avens.

And got me thinking that one main role these species play is as sentinels
of environment integrity.

We lose Avens or Plymouth Gentian but despite environmental abuses, we
maintain the common species. We convert a high biodiversity world with
myriad niches and high functionality to a low diversity world.

The loss of the rare, of the warblers of the flycatchers goes hand in hand
with degradation of habitat. Loss of woodland humus loss of floodplain loss
of water quality, bank shading , temperature controls. The public will not
experience this but will hear reports of less trout of more invasive
species of lakes closed to summer camps.

We must up our game of communicating why it matters
What they are good for in plain speech

Very glad the warblers and chimney swifts showed that intensive poorly
timed forestry operations were counter indicated.

Here's to Minister Rankin, Lahey and a New Forestry. In the words of Ringo
Starr

You know it dont come easy

Nick

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019, 6:47 AM John and Nhung, <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca> wrote=
:

> Yup, we sure present migratory birds (and a lot of other species) with a
> bewildering number of challenges, as we reduce the challenges ma nature
> throws our way.  Gonna be interesting to see how it ends, but I hope I ge=
> to do without that level of excitement.  We do have an ethical obligation
> as a species to do what we can to do unto them as we would have nature do
> unto us.  What goes around comes around.
>

> Anyway, I=E2=80=99m preaching to the converted.
>

> Makes me think of a conversation I had with a coupla guys about ten days
> ago.  I was waiting for my number to be called and was talking about the
> work our group (Tusket River Environmental Protection Association) is doi=
ng
> to protect some rare lakeside plant species in the catchment.
>

> The question I got was, =E2=80=9CWhat good are they?=E2=80=9D
>

> I appreciate that question.  It tells me we still have an enormous amount
> of public education to do, if we want a critical mass of the public to
> support some of the worthy initiatives we espouse.

good for..started me thinking about Endangeted Eastern Mountain Avens.=C2=