[NatureNS] Does anyone know why a broad swath has been cleared on

From: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 16:18:04 +0000

--_000_BYAPR13MB2774BCB4DC9A2B6A1F0CACE2B70D0BYAPR13MB2774namp_

Hi All,
     I'm writing as someone who goes through around 6 to 10 blackouts a yea=
r (almost all caused by fallen trees on power lines); so I have some sympat=
hy for NS Power in this case. It is sad to see large swaths of trees remove=
d each year but I think it's necessary and much of the wood (except in the =
Park) is salvaged by locals for firewood.
      I've also seen what happens when trees fall on power lines and it can=
 be a lot more than hours (sometimes days) of cold homes and inconveniences=
.  A few summers ago a tree fell across a line a few hundred yards from my =
house and  the ensuing sparks started a fire that our local fire department=
 was unable to fight until NS Power arrived and shut down the power. We wer=
e lucky but could have been a lot worse than some burnt trees and an intere=
sting story to tell visitors.
      As well many don't know that NS Power is required by regulation to hi=
re someone to walk the line ahead of the tree trimmers - in spring /summer =
- to look for nesting birds. I was contacted a number of years ago to see i=
f I was interested in doing this job (I wasn't), after a lot of damage was =
done by a storm in the Ingonish area. I'm not sure how or if  this process =
works but it is the practice here.
      All the best.
            Fritz McEvoy
              Sunrise Valley (near Dingwall)