[NatureNS] Does anyone know why a broad swath has been cleared on

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 12:38:29 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;br&g
Wanda,

Interesting to hear this.  NS Power is also the biggest user of
biomass to burn for power.  So, not only is there the loss of trees
from these clearances, but also trees being hauled off to feed the
power generating stations.  It is a myth that all of the wood is mill
waste.  Much of it comes directly from forests. The volume of wood
needed to power the plants is immense.  Now we are also exporting
biomass (chipped trees) to be burnt to generate power in Europe.  It's
really too bad that all of this goes on at all, but especially that
much of the harvesting disturbance takes place in nesting season.  If
interested, watch the short documentary "It's Too Big" - find the
video on the Healthy Forest Coalition site.  One of those interviewed
is Bob Bancroft.
https://www.healthyforestcoalition.ca/hfc-blog/its-too-big-the-biomass-plant-port-hastings-ns

bev