[NatureNS] Does anyone know why a broad swath has been cleared on

From: George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2019 22:04:46 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000a2c3290588924580

One reason is for maximum sun exposure in the winter on icy roads, less
salt needed. Because the sun is lower in the sky and only up for such a
short period of time the margin on the south sides needs to be wider,
especially if a hill or rise is also on the south side. This doesn't
explain the clearing on the north side. Studies have shown that thick brush
such as willow or alder would help a car slow down more safely than racing
over clear ground if it were to go off of the road. Cutting down the taller
trees to allow sun exposure but keeping the shrubbery would allow for
wildlife habitat and greater safety for out of control cars! It does seem
rather extreme to cut down everything. At least the chips are being left
for the fungi, and not being sold for biomass fuel!

George Forsyth

On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 17:24, David Hughes <dghughes@bellaliant.net> wrote:

> Both sides of the road have been cut back. I can=E2=80=99t think of any r=
easonable
> explanation because most of it does nothing to enhance safety or drainage=
.
> Even the trees along the tops of some rocky cliffs have been cleared. I
> expect the cleared strips would have been prime nesting areas for birds.
>
> Perhaps I am missing something, but I can=E2=80=99t think of any sensible
> explanation.
>
> David
>
> Sent from my iPad

--000000000000a2c3290588924580

on icy roads, less salt needed. Because the sun is lower in the sky and onl=
y up for such a short period of time the margin on the south sides needs to=
 be wider, especially if a hill or rise is also on the south side. This doe=
sn&#39;t explain the clearing on the north side. Studies have shown that th=
ick brush such as willow or alder would help a car slow down more safely th=
an racing over clear ground if it were to go off of the road. Cutting down =
the taller trees to allow sun exposure but keeping the shrubbery would allo=
w for wildlife habitat and greater safety for out of control cars! It does =
seem rather extreme to cut down everything. At least the chips are being le=
ir=3D"ltr">On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 17:24, David Hughes &lt;<a href=3D"mailto=
blockquote style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,=
204,204);padding-left:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">Both sides of the road hav=
e been cut back. I can=E2=80=99t think of any reasonable explanation becaus=
e most of it does nothing to enhance safety or drainage. Even the trees alo=
ng the tops of some rocky cliffs have been cleared. I expect the cleared st=
rips would have been prime nesting areas for birds.<br>
Perhaps I am missing something, but I can=E2=80=99t think of any sensible e=
xplanation.<br>
David<br>
Sent from my iPad<br>

--000000000000a2c3290588924580--