[NatureNS] Garter Snake, Waverley

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 17:06:45 -0400

On 28-Apr.-19 3:44 p.m., Peter Payzant wrote:
> Today as we were walking along the Trans-Canada Trail near Waverley, we came upon a Garter Snake stretched out on the trail, apparently basking in the weak sun. After we had admired it for a while, it suddenly folded up into the stereotypical S-shape of Hollywood snakes, and from then on struck at us if we got too close.
>
> The mouth, wide open during the strikes, was pale pink inside.
>
> It seems strange that it was so aggressive. Normally they are pretty shy and disappear as soon as they detect you. Maybe it had just had enough of the dogs and cyclists.

* they're more aggressive when their body temperature is low, probably
because it's a trade-off with a reduced speed of escape. - Schueler,
Frederick W.  1975. Notes on Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis) spring
mortality and behaviour at Long Point, Ontario. Ontario Field-Biologist
29:45-49.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - https://www.facebook.com/MudpuppyNight/
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
"Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
  -
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html