[NatureNS] Crown land forests - suggestions for ground-truthing

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 07:59:32 -0400

--------------3D4AD1CF4EE41EC40FE681B0

The sentence below (placed in bold) would be far more accurate if stated
as "no more than 10% of a watershed _harvested _in any one decade"...
OMIT the word "clearcut" as this is not acceptable in the Acadian
forest, particularly in southwest NS or anywhere else where
nutrient-depleted soils exist.  Clearcutting is ecologically
inappropriate on so very many levels that I don't have the energy to
address them and most naturalists in this group will already know very
well.   Plus, we have so much of it dominating every landscape already,
that we've reached a critical time when clearcutting must be halted.
Alternatively, there are many types of partial harvests that could be
carried out, but for reasons that boil down to economics laced with a
healthy dose of greed, and the lack of legislation and enlightenment,
they do not occur.   Had we the late successional mature forests that
once dominated NS, the partial harvest option would be more obvious, but
when cutting such young forests that dominate today, some only 25 years
old, then clearcutting is more tempting.  Very sad. Exposed,
post-clearcut soils heat up under the sun, release greenhouse gases as
decay speeds up, and warm the water run-off, which means warmer stream
temperatures for the biota that live there.  The entire chain reaction,
whether earth, water, sky is BAD.

The other highly questionable statement? "Cutting is necessary and
desirable" ....   Forests got along just fine some 400 years ago without
our "helpful cutting", existing in far better shape than now.  We know
this from early ship exports, harvest records, and early settler
comments.  They don't "need" cutting, or any help from us (an antiquated
concept still taught at some forestry institutions), but as part of the
economic driver of the province we respect that cutting is necessary in
that context and we rely on forest products everyday, but forestry must
be carried out in balance with nature's support system, the very system
that keeps us and other biota alive and healthy.  Clearcutting just
doesn't fit these criteria in NS.

Cheers,

Donna Crossland

On 2019-03-03 8:00 p.m., David wrote:
> Hi Bev and All,
>     What you describe certainly sounds like too much of a watershed
> scalped at once. T*his idea of no more than 10% of a watershed
> clear-cut in an one decade* should be pushed until it is accepted.
> Leaving a strip of trees on either side of a brook does provide shade
> but if the brook is a washout which then runs dry a short time later
> then shade is just a coffin ornament.
>     The consequences of excessive cutting rates is almost ancient
> history. A stream can be ruined in a very short time and recovery may
> take many decades if ever. Cutting is necessary and desirable but soil
> and stream degradation reflects sloth.
> YT, DW, Kentville.

---

--------------3D4AD1CF4EE41EC40FE681B0

  <head>
  </head>
      stated as "no more than 10% of a watershed <u>harvested </u>in
[...]
      BAD.</p>
      and desirable" ....   Forests got along just fine some 400 years
      ago without our "helpful cutting", existing in far better shape
      than now.  We know this from early ship exports, harvest records,
      and early settler comments.  They don't "need" cutting, or any
      help from us (an antiquated concept still taught at some forestry
      institutions), but as part of the economic driver of the province
      we respect that cutting is necessary in that context and we rely
      on forest products everyday, but forestry must be carried out in
      balance with nature's support system, the very system that keeps
      us and other biota alive and healthy.  Clearcutting just doesn't
      fit these criteria in NS.<br>
      cite="mid:eme638daa8-3535-4dae-937b-fd6a28d863ed@desktop-9kvucdh">Hi
      Bev and All,
          What you describe certainly sounds like too much of a
      watershed scalped at once. T<b>his idea of no more than 10% of a
        watershed clear-cut in an one decade</b> should be pushed until
[...]
                 Frederick W. Schueler &amp; Aleta Karstad
        (613)258-3107 &lt;bckcdb at istar.ca&gt; http://pinicola.ca/
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html<br>

--------------3D4AD1CF4EE41EC40FE681B0--