[NatureNS] Crown land forests - suggestions for ground-truthing

From: "John and Nhung" <nhungjohn@eastlink.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 15:34:49 -0400

&gt;&gt;&gt; checking to se
Sorry, Bev, should have participated sooner but am chronically preoccupied!

An additional concern I have shared with various folks is the effect that overly enthusiastic cutting may have on our water regimes.

(1) Hotter drier summers are on the way, and as folks in the stretch from Queens to Yarmouth Counties can attest, severe droughts seem to be getting more serious.

Someone said country folks need to get back to the old ways and cut back on their water use during droughts.  Swim instead of showering and do dishes the old fashioned way.

That’s well-taken, but isn’t enough.

Forests, I understand, are important stabilizers of water.  Extensive clearcutting means flashier regimes.  Would be interesting to talk to folks who work at some of the older power dams.  I was told by someone at the Tusket dam  that forty-odd years ago, water would rise slowly after heavy rains, then drop gradually and the effect on electricity generation was limited.  Now when it rains hard, the water rises faster and drops faster, leading to less stable electricity generation.

Gotta wonder, too, what the 105-year-old Hwy. 3 dam at Tusket was taken out after a torrential rain in November, 2010.  Yup, it was quite a rain, but there have been very heavy rains in the 105 years previously.  Gotta wonder ...

Ah, externalities.  But destabilization of water resources is pretty serious, and isn’t just an issue for tree-huggers.

(2) Not long ago, the media were reporting on blue-green algal blooms along the Carleton River.  The Fur Industry Regulations got enacted in 2013.    Phosphorus levels started dropping pretty consistently starting in 2015.  Drier summers and less runoff may have played a role, but levels continued to drop in 2017, when rains were more "normal."  I think heavy rains in 2013 and 2104, a massive spring runoff in 2015, and lower rainfall in recent years have probably all played a part but so, in my opinion, did the Regulations.

However, the blooms haven’t disappeared; they’re moving upstream to darker-water lakes whose high colour protected them from blooms in earlier years.  I am seeing a very strong association between rainfall early in the summer and colour later on. Less runoff, less "tea" ...  So with drier summers, we can expect our lakes to become more vulnerable to blue-green algal blooms.

Trees use nutrients.  Dead trees gradually liberate them.  More seriously, runoff from clearcuts are going to carry a lot more nutrient than runoff from a forested area.

I know I know, nature isn’t simple, but forests help maintain water quality, as well as quantity, and those blooms aren’t just an issue for recreation and property values.  Some of those little buggers liberate very nasty toxins when they rupture.

I, by the way, have been writing the water quality monitoring reports on the Carleton system since 2014.