[NatureNS] Cougar photographed in Antigonish County?

From: "Hebda, Andrew J" <Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 11:50:14 +0000

-----------------
--_000_BB70A87CFE8B8B4597E5A9D5EDDAB6FBE108F49BAS446provgovnsc_

Hi Suzanne

Have examined the image in detail since it was first taken.

The tail is the principal issue,.  To begin with, if a cougar, it would be =
 much thicker..  at the minimum the thickness of a human wrist.  because of=
 its massiveness, if it was sticking out at that angle (as in the image), i=
t would appear well beyond the tree, then dip down.    As has been pointed =
out, there is nothing there for scale, so the absolute size of the animal i=
s not known.

There re several questions that arise from such reports.  The main one is w=
hether there actually is an Eastern Cougar  (subspecies).  Since the initia=
l COSEWIC report came out designating the "eastern populations" ENDANGERED"=
 in 1978, it was reviewed, and its status changed to DATA DEFFICIENT in 199=
8. The reason for this is that there is no physical material from any indiv=
idual animal or any other evidence from reports that would  allow for DNA d=
etermination..

Have there been cougar encountered in Nova Scotia... Yes.  The best report =
we have actually comes from Nicolas Denys' reports of his stay here (publis=
hed in 1672) where he reports losses of young cattle at his farm in St Pete=
rs.  He describes the animal, how it would attack, and, more significantly =
how moose dealt with this threat.  His accounts were in French, and transla=
ted by Ganong in 1908 (which also includes the French text). Ganong notes i=
t as an erroneous description of wolverine... but if you red through the ac=
count, it is clear.  Since then, there have been sporadic reports, but no p=
hysical evidence to allow for confirmation..

So the challenge still remains.. any physical evidence to allow for confirm=
ation of the species, and DNA. (All confirmed reports from Ontario, Quebec =
and NB have either had Western or Southern genetics)

There is an ecological question that would have to be resolved.  That relat=
es to the presence of 4 top carnivores in the area.  Bobcat (especially the=
 large morph), Lynx (now reported from several part so f the mainland), the=
 Coyote, and the Cougar... all doing, more-or-less the same thing, although=
 prey size would be somewhat different.

So if you encounter a chunk of fur, scat, or a carcass (or part thereof) or=
 know of an old specimen (pelt etc), you could help with the story

Andrew