[NatureNS] Grey squirrel Windsor and Falmouth

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 14:23:12 -0400

On 31/05/2018 6:12 AM, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

> A long time ago I was talking with an old man in Bridgetown
> and he told me Grey Squirrels were there as long as he
> could remember. Attach the word "invasive" to anything
> and whatever it is a problem. A simple solution for simple folks!
> Enjoy the spring and the squirrel!

* Grey (mostly black) Squirrels are intrusive in big areas of eastern
Ontario, even though they've 'always' been in the Oak woods along the
St-Lawrence and in cities like Ottawa - they've just shown up here in
Bishops Mills in the past decade or so. I find that they occur where
there are Oak or nut trees or bird feeders. Their spread has been
allowed by the planting of Oak and nut trees, rampaging spread of
squirrel-borne not-native-here Black Walnuts, secondary succession
increasing the number of Oaks, and the proliferation of bird feeders.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
"Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
  -
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html