[NatureNS] Dragon Flies and Pickerel

From: Suzanne Townsend <tgssuzanne@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 18:11:20 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000999dc3056d4a90b9

Haha Randy, absolutely no ill will here, but just had to laugh when I read
your "humerus" note! I think you meant "humerous."

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/humerus
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/humorous?s=t

:)
Suzanne, Glendale

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 5:27 PM rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca <
rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Well Randy - thats not my first mistake in grammer!
> Probably wouldn't be the last.
> But good for a laugh.
> Enjoy the spring
> Paul
>

> On May 28, 2018 at 2:05 PM Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Paul, and others.
>
> Your subject line really caught me eye! And this note is meant to be both
> humerus and informative.
>
> I've never seen a Dragon Fly, presumably these are flies which either feed
> on, or resemble dragons; *dragonflies* (one word), on the other hand, are
> an ancient order of insects which are readily eaten by some birds and fish,
> for example.
>
> I'm not trying to be the grammar policeman, and in this case, there was
> probably no misunderstanding, but it was an opportunity to inform. The rule
> is, if the critter is a real fly (possessing two wings only, order
> Diptera), then "fly" is a separate word in the name.
>
> Horse Fly, House Fly, Fruit Fly, Black Fly.
>
> If "fly" is part of a larger word, it is not a Fly.
>
> Stonefly, Mayfly, Caddisfly, Scorpionfly, Butterfly.
>

> Randy
>
> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.
>
> On 28 May 2018 at 10:06, rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca <
> rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi All
> The other day I had a fellow out fishing on the Lahave
> and we found numerous pickerel. along with some bass.
> We had about 40 pickerel in 4 hours. The angler open two of
> them to see what they were dining on and we found they were full
> of Dragon Fly nymphs. Hard on the Dragon Fly population!
> It might be informative to establish a index of the Dragon Flies before
> a Pickerel invasion to see what happens in the following years!
> And on a happier note it  was a great Loon Count yesterday.
> Donna as always outdone other years! I got to Beaverskin Lake
> - a rare treat we passed by Sheldon's Cabin just to pay our respects!
> His books are great reading!
> Enjoy the spring
> Paul

--000000000000999dc3056d4a90b9

augh when I read your &quot;humerus&quot; note! I think you meant &quot;hum=
erous.&quot;=C2=A0<div><br>

onary.com/browse/humorous?s=3Dt">http://www.dictionary.com/browse/humorous?=
te"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 5:27 PM <a href=3D"mailto:rita=
.paul@ns.sympatico.ca">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca">rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br></di=
v><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:=
1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>
   =20
=20
=20
n grammer!</span>
pan>
1px blue" type=3D"cite">
   On May 28, 2018 at 2:05 PM Randy Lauff &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff=
     Your subject line really caught me eye! And this note is meant to be b=
oth humerus and informative.
     =C2=A0
     I&#39;ve never seen a Dragon Fly, presumably these are flies which eit=
her feed on, or resemble dragons;=20
     <em>dragonflies</em>=C2=A0(one word), on the other hand, are an ancien=
t order of insects which are readily eaten by some birds and fish, for exam=
ple.
     =C2=A0
     I&#39;m not trying to be the grammar policeman, and in this case, ther=
e was probably no misunderstanding, but it was an opportunity to inform. Th=
e rule is, if the critter is a real fly (possessing two wings only, order D=
iptera), then &quot;fly&quot; is a separate word in the name.
     =C2=A0
     Horse Fly, House Fly, Fruit Fly, Black Fly.
     =C2=A0
     If &quot;fly&quot; is part of a larger word, it is not a Fly.
     =C2=A0
     Stonefly, Mayfly, Caddisfly, Scorpionfly, Butterfly.
     =C2=A0
     =C2=A0
     Randy
     On 28 May 2018 at 10:06,=20