[NatureNS] EAB in New Brunswick

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, NATURENB@LISTSERV.UNB.CA
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Cc: Donald McAlpine <Donald.McAlpine@nbm-mnb.ca>,
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 10:55:57 -0400

div&gt;&lt;br clear=3D"none"&gt;&lt;/div&gt;&lt;div&gt;IM&lt;/d
On 18/05/2018 7:58 AM, Ian Manning wrote:
> Bad news out of NB yesterday.
>
> https://www.canada.ca/en/food-inspection-agency/news/2018/05/emerald-ash-borer-confirmed-in-edmundston.html

* well, it was bound to happen. I wonder if anyone knows more than this
uninformative blurb from CFIA?

Our experience with this pest in eastern Ontario is that it ravaged the
Ash forests of urban Ottawa, which are now dead skeletons undergrown by
dense forests of Cathartic Buckthorn, but that it hasn't spread as
rapidly in the rural areas as one might have expected. I cut a couple of
trees on our land two years ago, but others haven't succumbed as rapidly
as anticipated.

Apparently, there is both a biocontol wasp introduced from China, and at
least one native egg parasitoid which has taken up with the invader, but
as with so many biocontrol agents, it's hard to find news of how
widespread or successful these have been found to be. If the infestation
in Edmunston can't be quickly extinguished, naturalists should urge the
authorities to promtly introduce both of these biocontrol Insects to the
infested area.

Trees infested with the Emerald Ash Borer can be recognized by the
D-shaped emergence holes made by the adults, and by the flaking away of
the surface of the bark by Woodpeckers. Green Ash (F. pensylvanica) are
more vulnerable than White Ash (F. americana).
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/plant-pests-invasive-species/insects/emerald-ash-borer/fact-sheet/eng/1337368130250/1337368224454

Affected trees will be something else to look out for as we come to
BiotaNB next month....

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
          Fragile Inheritance Natural History
'Daily' Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0
   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain  44.87156° N 75.70095° W
"Feasting on Conolophus to the conclusion of consanguinity"
  -
http://www.lulu.com/shop/frederick-w-schueler/feasting-on-conolophus-to-the-conclusion-of-consanguinity-a-collection-of-darwinian-verses/paperback/product-23517445.html