[NatureNS] WW Crossbills in Xmas tree farm

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 08:56:33 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Thursday I visited a trail that runs along the lakeshore with a Xmas tree farm going up from it. White-winged Crossbills were everywhere- feeding in the spruce trees bordering the lot and also scattered throughout the Xmas trees themselves. Several were actually sitting atop these small firs singing away, well away from the cone-bearing trees. Would WWCR actually nest in these tree farms?

Xmas tree farms are curious places: fir monocultures with thick grassy undergrowth, edge habitat and gravelly trails. Each lot has a Red-tailed Hawk present (two in courtship flight there on Thursday) plus I’ve seen Kestrels, Merlins and other raptors- the thick grass likely harbours lots of small mammals, sparrows, insects and such. Neither natural nor the world’s safest environments in many ways  but certainly not the worst.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.

Sent from my iPad