Re[2]: [NatureNS] Northern Pulp treatment plan

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: "David Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 23:15:33 +0000

--------=_MBFF4D9478-CEF1-4822-A53A-86151CB0A657

Hi Chris & All,
     I too have a romantic yen for the small is beautiful economy. But=20
even in that economy there must be some primary industry to fuel other=20
parts of the economy. And ever since the industrial revolution that=20
primary industry has been factory based as opposed to cottage based. And=20
from day one it has been necessary to hold industry to account but not=20
to the point of putting them out of business.

     Whatever the generalities may be, the particulars in NS right now=20
include an out migration, especially of the young in search of jobs. And=20
with each turn of the wheel another school closes and another community=20
becomes a guttering candle. And throughout much of Canada and the USA=20
the destruction of society (serial polygamy, crime, drug pushing, broken=20
homes--) are frequently consequences of precarious employment, lost=20
employment or job churn.
     And I agree Chris (and Paul); those with the right skills, combined=20
with a good reputation and sufficient funds to become established have=20
more work coming their way than they can handle. Nothing succeeds like=20
success as the saying goes.  But those who hire them are most likely=20
able to do so because they have a job.
     But the large numbers who are on welfare are trapped there for life=20
unless some jobs become available on a connecting bus route or=20
equivalent. And the same applies to those who live in poverty not quite=20
dire enough to qualify for welfare.
     Surely you have noticed that when governments go bust the=20
consequences are unpleasant; to say the least.
     In closing, this topic reminds me of a radio broadcast that I=20
happened to hear shortly after the Cod fishery collapsed in Nfld. An=20
Economics Prof. at Memorial Univ. was being interviewed and in effect he=20
said (dead serious ; not a spoof) that the fishery collapse was of no=20
consequence because there would still be lots of jobs in Police work,=20
highway work, teaching, Health care... Everything he mentioned consumed=20
wealth !
YT, DW, Kentville