[NatureNS] Multiflora Rose

Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 02:30:07 +0000 (UTC)
From: Carmel Smith <girlby@yahoo.com>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

    &lt;div
------=_Part_2569612_1390134392.1512527407462

 I wasn't familiar with this plant until a few years ago. Have questions ab=
out how much it actually does spread, and by what means. Here--Lunenburg Co=
unty--I see it planted in yards, especially of old houses, and on the groun=
ds of old farms or homesteads, even if there are no more buildings standing=
. So these plants are quite old. From what I can see, they just get thicker=
 and stronger, and spread slowly in the immediate environment. At one area =
I like to bird there are some very thick swathes of it, but it is still res=
tricted to a relatively small area at the edge of an abandoned field. I see=
 why the birds love it, it is almost impenetrable, at least to all but bird=
s. So they are very protected within its coils. This is an old community, g=
oing back a couple hundred years. I have to wonder when these bushes were p=
lanted. Seems to me its habit is not to spread at an alarming rate? Unlike =
some others, like Loosestrife, which seems to spread quickly and easily. Is=
 multiflora invading areas beyond human landscapes? I daresay it is, but I =
don't have any data on it for here, or anywhere else. I'm all for native sp=
ecies. At the same time, I don't know that multiflora is at the top of the =
troublemakers. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to the full picture of the=
 dangers and actual damage this plant has caused/is causing/is suspected to=
 cause.
Carmel SmithLunenburg County    On Tuesday, December 5, 2017, 6:22:07 PM AS=
T, Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com> wrote: =20
=20
 Why not, Paul?Randy=C2=A0
On Dec 4, 2017 4:05 PM, "rita.paul@ns.sympatico.ca" <rita.paul@ns.sympatico=