[NatureNS] Insect decline

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 00:57:07 +0000 (UTC)
From: Carmel Smith <girlby@yahoo.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

ns.ca"&gt;naturens@cheb
------=_Part_5020162_68838856.1510102627988

 Hi everyone!
In the film that came out this past year "Songbird S.O.S." they showed a fi=
eld researcher measuring and weighing swallows, this was in Western Canada =
somewhere if I recall. The person doing the work commented that the swallow=
s were underweight compared to past norms. The adults and the young were no=
t getting enough insects, she speculated. Then she went into research being=
 done to analyse water samples, and one finding is that certain pesticides =
are accumulating in the watersheds, and not breaking down as they are "supp=
osed" to do. So run-off from the farming activities is affecting building u=
p and the concentrations in creeks, swamps etc is much higher than suspecte=
d in many areas.

This would naturally affect many flying insects, as many flying species hav=
e the egg and nymph stage in water. From the standing waters, the mosquitoe=
s, damselflies, etc. emerge. If the pesticides are present in the water, fl=
ying insects will be affected, most definitely.=C2=A0

The birds which are exclusive insectivores, such as swifts and swallows, fo=
r example, should be on the front line in terms of decline...but all birds =
feeding young on insects will feel the impact, is my guess. And that's most=
 songbirds.=C2=A0

A friend of mine spends half the year in Germany. He said the air pollution=
 there is so bad, he comes back sick every year. The doctor he saw there to=
ld him not to ride his bike when the farm tractors were out in the fields, =
as they would be spraying, and he sees so many people with breathing proble=
ms then. The tractors there are huge, and the agricultural model is industr=
ial to the hilt--most of what's grown is corn in many areas, and this goes =
to feed pigs--the main meat consumed in Germany. They farm intensively beca=
use the population is large, and growing. Every square inch is pressed into=
 farming. The areas of protected space are still contaminated by the same a=
ir and water from the farm fields.=C2=A0
Corn and soybeans are crops where virtually all seed is coated with neonics=
, and the act of planting actually creates toxic dust which spreads everywh=
ere with the wind, besides contaminating the soil, which is then rinsed and=
 spread by rain into the watershed.

Have they studied bird populations in Germany? I can't imagine they would b=
e doing very well.=C2=A0

Can't imagine these widespread insecticides are good for amphibians or fish=
 either.

I used to live on P.E.I. and agriculture is everywhere there. The gov't doe=
sn't like people talking about it, but there are many fish kills every year=
 from farm "run-off"--that doesn't make the tourist brochures.
As the researchers (in the linked article) state, the overall loss of insec=
t biomass is sure to have impacts across the board.

Carmel Smith
Midville Branch    On Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 4:58:21 PM AST, Laviolette=
, Lance <lance.laviolette@lmco.com> wrote: =20
=20
 #yiv8415841440 #yiv8415841440 -- _filtered #yiv8415841440 {font-family:Cal=
ibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}#yiv8415841440 #yiv8415841440 p.yiv8415=
841440MsoNormal, #yiv8415841440 li.yiv8415841440MsoNormal, #yiv8415841440 d=
iv.yiv8415841440MsoNormal {margin:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0p=
t;}#yiv8415841440 a:link, #yiv8415841440 span.yiv8415841440MsoHyperlink {co=
lor:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv8415841440 a:visited, #yiv841584144=
0 span.yiv8415841440MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:unde=
rline;}#yiv8415841440 span.yiv8415841440EmailStyle17 {color:#1F497D;}#yiv84=
15841440 .yiv8415841440MsoChpDefault {} _filtered #yiv8415841440 {margin:72=
.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;}#yiv8415841440 div.yiv8415841440WordSection1 {}#=
yiv8415841440=20
To summarize, the authors speculate that while habitat loss and climate cha=
nge have an effect, they point to agricultural intensification as probably =
the main cause.=20
=20
 =C2=A0
=20