[NatureNS] Re: Mystery Birds

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 23:56:54 +0000

--_000_BLUPR11MB046835D10D04C25DD0A9A0F8B5630BLUPR11MB0468namp_

Hi Fred and all:

I was thinking that it could have been thrushes that I was hearing making t=
he whisling noises.  These calls were moving and not set in one spot.  Anyh=
ow, Ken McKenna sent me the whistling calls of hermit thrushes.  That part =
of the mystery is solved as it is exact to what I was hearing.  It sounded =
like they were communicating with one another.  Some appeared to be making =
the call from ground level and others from the air.  I expect they were set=
tling into the woods behind the house for the night until the heavy fog lif=
ted and the rain was over.  This is the first time I've heard this in LaHav=
e, so definitely a group of thrushes on the move.  The other call is still =
a mystery.  It reminded me of the hunting call of one of the owls, but did =
not quite match it.  When the call was made it really set the hermit thrush=
es off.  This morning there were lots of birds about.  I did not want to go=
 to work and wished I did not have to so I could determine what other birds=
 were there.  Oh well I'll never know.

Sincerely,

James