[NatureNS] Thread-Index: AQHS9bUf8T0mnd+GDEmawxjWrSaVBQ==

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 21:45:35 -0400

In these
On 7/5/2017 5:55 PM, Larry Neily wrote:

> As a founding member of the AAAAA (Anti-Acronym and Abbreviation
> Association) I feel obliged to add my cents worth to the discussion.
> These codes were intended for use by banders and not meant for general
> usage. As with any abbreviations, they lead to a great deal of
> ambiguity. If you must use them, or even learn them, keep that in mind.

* and if you're using them for data entry, set your database or word
processor to flip the code to the Standard English name, or the
scientific name, so you get the benefit of a reduced number of
keystrokes, but don't impose ambiguity on the reader. In my system I
have 2-4 letter codes that flip to the name - "\tmig" flips to "Turdus
migratorius", which is interpreted as "Robin" in some output.

fred.